Reflection

I really enjoyed writing this essay because it really hits home for me and most of the essays that I have written for the class had a similar effect. In any of my English classes previously never were the essay topics so open-ended. I really got to be creative this semester and had the opportunity to write topics that truly mean something to me and weren’t a requirement for the class. This can be a challenge for many because when not having a requirement for a specific topic. This was something constantly on my mind as soon as I read the task for this assignment it was the first topic that came to mind. Not only am I a female but I am also Dominican, I was not born in the Dominican Republic but I did live there for many years. I could have been one of these women who gotten pregnant and needed an abortion. This is a  serious topic because not everybody is meant to be a mother and sometimes people take advantage of the rights that they have. Many people who either have a background of being Dominican or have visited the Dominican Republic might not know this and me writing this essay not only makes it aware to those who have never visited but for those who have and weren’t aware of these limitations.

One of the things that I found most challenging from this essay was finding sources. The sources didn’t give enough information that would help me justify my argument or some of the sources would be a good start but I needed a little bit more. After doing a lot of research I finally found good enough sources that back up how abortion can affect women if they are illegal by having unsafe extraction of the embryo. I also found different methods of having an abortion either by having it physically taken out or by taking pills to end the pregnancy. I originally found the primary source of the video first when doing other research for my previous semester. The video ties everything together as to a real-life situation that occurred in the Dominican Republic on how a young girl always dreamed of being a mother but she had Cancer while being pregnant. She had no other choice but to die because she wasn’t able to have an abortion to save her life. Things like that really upset me because when it comes to health purpose and abortion should be allowed.